Information We Collect
The types of information we may obtain include:
- Personal Information provided by you (such as via documents uploaded to our Site) or collected from third party sources as described below.
- Publically available data about you from third party sites and sources, including profiles created by you on other websites, or other information you have publicly shared for the purpose of advertising or informing others about your background.
- Username and password for the account you may establish on our Sites.
- Your demographic information (such as zip or postal code, occupation, education and experience, and if you choose to provide it, age, gender and race or ethnicity). We collect this information either through the registration process, from the documents or information you provide to our Sites, or in the manner described below.
- Site behavior and preferences, and a record of the searches that you make on our Sites.
- Other details that you may submit to us or that may be included in the information provided to us by third parties.
- Technical information about your use of our sites or apps, as described below.
We may obtain information about you from various sources, including directly from you via our Sites, when you call or email us, or when you participate in events, contests or other promotions. We also may obtain information about you from our parent, affiliate or subsidiary companies, business partners and other third parties, as well as from publicly available information.
Guardian provides software applications (“Apps”) available to the public. If you decide to download one of our Apps, and if you authorize us to do so, we will collect your social media profile information, including your social network site user ID, work email address, name, city, state, social network site profile image URL, and employment history, including job titles and employer names. You may be asked to enter this information directly, or we can automatically collect it by syncing to your social media profiles. We request this information so that we may automate completion of registration forms or profiles with information stored in your social media profile. In addition, when you visit our Sites or use our Apps, we may collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons or as provided to the app by your device’s operating system, as described in more detail below. The information we may collect by automated means includes:
- Information about the devices our visitors use to access the Internet (such as the IP address and the device, browser and operating system type and other operating system support information).
- Pages and URLs that refer visitors to our Sites, also pages and URLs that visitors exit to once they leave our Sites.
- Dates and times of visits to our Sites.
- Information on actions taken on our Sites (such as page views, site navigation patterns and or profile activity).
- A general geographic location (such as country and city) from which a visitor accesses our Sites.
- Search terms that visitors use to reach our Sites.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use the information we obtain about you to:
- Register, manage and maintain your account on the Sites.
- Provide products or services you request.
- Maintain your profile, information, and documentation, and make it available to employers through our products and services as described below in “Information We Share.”
- Supplement your profile with publicly available information.
- Maintain a record of the documents or information you provide to our Sites.
- Provide administrative notices or communications applicable to your use of the Sites.
- Respond to your questions and comments and provide customer support.
- Contact you and deliver information to you that, in some cases, is targeted to your interests (such as relevant services, educational or other career development opportunities); enable you to communicate with us through our blogs, social networks and other interactive media; and solicit your feedback and input. These communications will contain links for preference management and, where appropriate, unsubscribe links should you decide you do not want to receive further communications.
- Manage your participation in our events and other promotions, where you have signed up for such events and promotions.
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business and the products and services we offer.
- Analyze and enhance our marketing communications and strategies (including by identifying when emails we have sent to you have been received and read).
- Analyze trends and statistics regarding visitors’ use of our Sites, mobile applications and social media assets.
- Analyze trends and statistics about the job market and career mobility in local economies and nationally, and provide these analytics to customers of certain Guardian products and services.
- Optimize our site search engine results and permit search engine access to public profile information.
- Protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users.
- Enforce our Sites’ Terms and Conditions.
- Comply with applicable legal requirements, court orders, legal proceedings, document requests, and industry standards and our policies.
We also use non-personally identifiable information and certain technical information about your computer and your access of the Sites (including your internet protocol address) in order to operate, maintain and manage the Sites. We collect this information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons, as described in more detail below.
If we seek to use the information we obtain about you in other ways, we will provide specific notice and request your consent at the time of collection.
Information We Share
We share the information that we collect from you or from third party sources with employers and service providers.
We also may share Personal Information with our service providers who help us in the delivery of our own products and services to you. These service providers may only use or disclose the information as necessary to perform services on our behalf or as otherwise required by law.
Guardian also may disclose specific user information when we determine, in good faith, that such disclosure is necessary to comply with the law, to cooperate with or seek assistance from law enforcement, to prevent a crime or protect national security, or to protect the interests or safety of Guardian or other users of the Sites.
In addition, Personal Information we have collected may be passed on to a third party in the event of a transfer of ownership or assets or a bankruptcy or other corporate reorganization of Guardian.
We may combine certain non-personally identifiable Aggregate Data, or otherwise anonymized or de-identified data about our users and use such data to prepare reports for our users (typically employers). “Aggregate Data” is the demographic information (such as zip code, age, gender, race or ethnicity) and employment information (such as occupation, education and experience) of many individuals that is combined together. Aggregate Data is used to analyze the characteristics of various populations and does not identify any specific individuals. We may also use and share anonymized or de-identified data to track trends in the labor market as well as use of our products and services. Some Aggregate Data analytics reports can be used to better understand individual profiles.
We also use third party analytics services to help better understand the use of our sites, which is further described in the Cookies section below.
Review, Update or Delete Your Account Information
You may access, update and amend Personal Information included in your online Guardian account at any time by logging into your account and making the necessary changes. You may also delete your account from our database at any time by logging in to your account and making an account deletion request. Deleting your Guardian account will not remove your Personal Information or documents from our database, which will remain in our databases for an indefinite period of time.
Please allow up to thirty days to process your account deletion request.
About Cookies, Tracking Choices, and Third Party Advertisers
A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor‘s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” is also called a Web bug or a pixel tag or a clear GIF. Used in combination with cookies, a Web beacon is an often-transparent graphic image, usually no larger than 1 pixel x 1 pixel, that is placed on a Web site or in an e-mail that is used to monitor the behavior of the user visiting the Web site or sending the e-mail.
We use third-party advertising companies who may place or access cookies on your computer hard drive to distinguish your web browser uniquely and to keep track of information relating to serving ads on your web browser, such as the type of ads shown and the webs pages on which the ads appeared.
These companies may use information about your visits to these Sites and to other sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you on our Sites or on other, third party, sites. We also may give third party advertisers the ability to tailor their advertisements on our Sites using demographic and preference information we provide to them in aggregate form. This information does not identify you individually.
These companies operate under their own privacy policies and Guardian encourages you to be aware of the privacy policies of such companies.
Guardian does not have control over or access to any information contained in the cookies that are set on your computer by third party advertisers.
Our Site does not respond to web browser “do not track” signals. However, to help prevent and limit the automatic collection of information by any participating third party advertisers, including the collection of personally identifiable information about an individual’s online activities over time and across third-party Web sites or online services, you may opt-out of such collection by clicking the Ad Choices icon located within the ad, by accessing the “about ads” opt-out site, or by accessing the NAI opt-out site. Please note that this opt-out is cookie-based. If you buy a new computer, change web browsers or delete this cookie, you will need to perform the opt-out task again.
Links to Other Websites
Our Sites may contain links to other sites for your convenience and information. These sites may be operated by companies not owned by Guardian. These other sites or linked third-party sites may have their own privacy notices, which you should review if you visit those sites. We are not responsible for the content of any sites not owned by Guardian, any use of those sites, or those sites’ privacy practices.
How We Protect Personal Information
Guardian maintains administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to assist us in protecting the Personal Information we collect against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
Please note that no electronic transmission, storage or processing of information can be entirely secure. We cannot guarantee that the security measures we have in place to safeguard Personal Information will never be defeated or fail, or that those measures will always be sufficient or effective. Therefore, although we are committed to protecting your privacy, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your Personal Information will always remain private or secure. As a user of the Sites, you understand and agree that you assume all responsibility and risk for your use of the Sites, the internet generally, and the documents you post or access and for your conduct on and off the Sites.
To further protect yourself, you should safeguard your Guardian account user name and password and not share that information with anyone. You should also sign off your account and close your browser window when you have finished your visit to our Sites. Please note that we will never ask for your Guardian account user name or password via email.
California, USA Residents
California law permits its residents to request and receive information about a business’ disclosure of certain categories of Personal Information to other companies for their use in direct marketing. If you are a California resident and a user of any of the Sites, you can request a copy of this information from Guardian by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and email address in email requests, and your name and postal address in mail requests.
We do not knowingly collect or solicit information from anyone under the age of 13. If you are under 13, please do not use the Sites. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible.
How to Contact Us